I’ve mostly kept politics out of this blog, but the current political climate is seriously scary and I recently came across some information about McCain’s stance on sexual issues that I think more people need to know about. I got this info from the Planned Parenthood Action Center list of 10 Things Everyone Should Know About John McCain.
Now, I know that lots of folks will have lots of opinions and beliefs about each of these. But we’ve been dealing with the social and public health consequences of a sex-negative president for a while now and if you haven’t been affected by our current policies directly, you probably know someone who has. Personally, I think that it’s time for the politicians to stop trying to control everyone’s sex lives and to stop trying to force us to accept ideology instead of accurate, non-judgmental information.
Things that John McCain opposes:
* Equal pay legislation, saying it wouldn’t do “anything to help the rights of women.”
* Requiring health care plans to cover birth control.
* Comprehensive, medically accurate sex education.
* Funding to prevent unintended and teen pregnancies.
* Funding for public education about emergency contraception.
* Restoring family planning services for low-income women.
* Roe v. Wade and says it should be overturned.
* In his 25 years in Washington, DC, John McCain has voted anti-choice 125 times!
I also invite you to read John McCain in His Own Words, also courtesy of the Planned Parenthood Action Center. And if you want a grimly funny video clip, here’s one for you: